Vyvanse is one of the medications that have been approved to treat Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder among people. Generically known as lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, this drug is categorized as a Schedule II controlled substance. The drug is considered to be very effective in controlling the different signs and symptoms of ADHD. This is a drug used for all who have ADHD. Doctors have to carefully monitor their patients who use this drug for the disorder because there is a high chance of becoming addicted to this medication. As a potent stimulant, a lot of people also might misuse this drug or abuse it.
Side Effects of Vyvanse
As with any other medication, using Vyvanse could also bring about a lot of side effects. These side effects should be carefully checked as these could impede the normal routines that a person has. Doctors would usually explain to their patients and their families about the probable side effects that the patients might experience while taking the medication or advice them to use alternatives to adderall for adults. They have to be very careful, especially when there are other existing conditions. If there are signs of a patient not responding or developing adverse effects to the medication, then the doctor has to stop administering the drug right away.
Common Vyvanse Side Effects in Adults
One of the most common side effects that users of the drug complain about is dry mouth. Having a dry mouth would then push these people to drink more water every day. Another commonly reported side effect is a decrease in appetite. This could then lead to weight loss among those who use this to treat their ADHD. Up to 39% of people taking this drug experience decrease in appetite. There are also other digestive problems such as nausea and vomiting among some users. Others also complain about having difficulty getting sleep every day, which could then lead to bouts of irritability.
Dangerious Side Effects of Vyvanse
These adverse effects that people need to watch out for have to be reported to the doctor immediately. Dosage plays a big role in the treatment of ADHD symptoms, and overdosing on the medication could lead to sudden heart attacks, even when there are no symptoms of existing heart ailments.
The following are severe Vyvanse side effects that, if you have them, requires medical attention.
- Severe Aggression: Patients sometimes feel sudden mood swings, fits of rage, and flashes of anger while on Vyvanse.
- Muscle Weakness: Some patients feel tired in their core and limbs while on Vyvanse.
- Short Breath: Since Vyvanse increases PNS activity, some individuals experience increase breathing rate as well as heart rate. The result is an inability to take slow, deep breaths.
- Fever: Since stimulants increase internal body temperature, some individuals feel fevers from Vyvanse.
- Severe Headaches: Users who experience severe headaches that causes them to be unable to function should seek medical attention.
- Fainting: Stop taking Vyvanse if you are fainting. This is a sign that your pulse is too high.
- Severe Chest Pains: Stop taking Vyvanse if you are experiencing severe chest pains. This might be a sign of a heart condition.
- Blurred Vision: Vyvanse can cause dilated pupils, which results in blurred vision.
- Abnormal Heart Beat: Vyvanse can cause an abnormal heart beat in some patients.
- Seizures: Stop taking Vyvanse if you are getting seizures. Seizures occur when there are too many stimulus in the brain and not enough inhibition.
- Tics: Vyvanse can worsen Turret’s syndrome.
- Hallucinations: Do not take Vyvanse if you are seeing, hearing, feeling hallucinations. Vyvanse can worsen psychosis.
- Muscle Tremors: These occur when your PNS sends input to your muscles to keep up the muscle tone.
- Sexual Changes: Some patients experience an over active libido, a lowered libido, or even erectile difficulties on Vyvanse. Talk to your doctor about this as it is a severe change in lifestyle.
- Fast Heartbeat: Vyvanse can cause an overly fast heartbeat as well as high blood pressure.
- Moodiness: Vyvanse can cause sudden changes in mood.